Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Road to Badwater Part 11: Post Race

This is part 11 of a series highlighting an ultra-marathon run by my friend Gregg270_badwater[1] Geredes.  Gregg came in 5th place and was th 1st rookie to finish!  135 miles: 28:28:29.
This achievement was done to raise money for the Diplomatic Security Foundation. Click here to find out more.
Post Race
We drove down the mountain and talked about the race, although I’m not sure how coherent I was. Even though the race was over my crew was still taking care of me, they got me to my room with all my gear. I took an ice bath to reduce the swelling (by the way the water felt cold this time), showered and went to bed. I slept about 2 hours, when I awoke I couldn’t figure out where everyone was. After looking around the room I finally realized my wife was lying right next to me, still taking care of me.
badwater_bestcrewbadwater_finishcrew
Photos: Best Crew Ever! Post race crew with vehicles
A little while later the crew came back, they had gone to dinner in town. We all talked about the different parts of the race. It was amazing the lifetime you can experience in the course of 28 ½ hours.
clip_image004
Photo: Post-race runner. And you would look any better?
One of the questions Nanc asked me was “There were other runners as good as you with crews as good as yours that didn’t finish as well as you, why is that?” I didn’t fully answer her question at the time, but I will now. First off, although I know there were better runners out there I am positive no one had a better crew with more invested in their runner, more importantly my entire race was covered in prayer, prayers from my family, friends, and crew. I want to thank all of you for your prayers and words of encouragement. Without you I am sure that I would not have had finished as strong as I did.
  • Lesson: It is amazing the lifetime you can experience in the course of 28 ½ hours.
  • Lesson: Thank you all

No comments:

Post a Comment